Saturday, March 14, 2015

Of Cats and Security



So I was listening to Paul’s Security Weekly (@securityweekly) podcast last Thursday night when one of their guests, one Michael Santarcangelo (@catalyst), used the phrase, “Risk Catnip”. I almost fell on the floor laughing, as he weaved that phrase into his thought without any hesitation. It surprised everyone on the show and we all got a great laugh out of it.

The next day, since I loved that phrase so much, I decided to re-Tweet his phrase along with some other phrases ending with “catnip”. One of those phrases was “Threat Catnip”. A follower of mine by the name of @PeterGanzevles (Hacktic) replied with about the best response I believe I ever heard, he coined the term “Threatnip”, which got me thinking… (I know, I know, keep your jokes to yourself).


 Embedded image permalink


“Threatnip”, as it turns out, is actually a real thing and it’s used all the time as a lure to get executives to buy into Threat Intelligence products like reports, dashboards, blinky boxes and consultations. And much like catnip, once the prey has pounced on the lure and plays around a bit, the thrill is gone along with a considerable amount of money that could have been put to better use. Now I’m not saying that there is no use for Threat Intelligence, in fact, quite the opposite is true, but there has to be more than just the “Threat” part, because, as “Intelligence” implies, it must serve as a function of a continuous cycle of security posture improvement.

The morale of this short story is this: don’t be a “Threatnip” peddler, be a total solutions provider!


Here are some people that are much wiser than I on this subject:

Edward McCabe (@edwardmccabe):

John Berger

Rafal Los (@Wh1t3Rabbit)



No comments:

Post a Comment